Maybe you got some money gifts over Christmas and now with the New Year (usually fitness) resolutions you’re ready to spend that money on workout gear to motivate your determination to succeed in your goals!
Three years of working out 3-6 days a week has helped me discover what I (and you) want/need to wear for different fitness activities! Hope this helps you!
1. Shoes, the brands that I love the most are:
- Reebok (for all things Crossfit), nano 4.0 are my favorite, nano 3.0 second.
- New Balance ( for running and agility days), also other classes & bootcamps
- Merrell Barefoot for trail runs & biking.
*asics, saucony, & brookes are also good running shoes
- Tek Gear (from Khols) an inexpensive capri or short that stays put and has great stretch ( but doesn’t last past a year with heavy use — ripped a hole in the butt, I know. =P)
- Athleta, a spendier brand that lasts a long time (1 year & counting), through much wearing and washing
- Lululemon, another more expensive capri/legging/short but the quality is undeniable. I have a pair of the Inspire Capris! Great with crossfit because they have drawstring. It gets annoying to have to constantly hike up your pants
*I would like to try Fabletics sometime in the future along with a few of these brands too.
3. Sports Bra, for some women this might not be a significant category, to me it is. As a woman who was buxom before loosing weight, to a nursing mama I definitely appreciated the people that pointed me in the right direction for support in this area. Unfortunately I have discovered (at least for me) there really isn’t a cheap route for this gear. Bite the bullet and get the comfortable, support and coverage you need to make working out possible. When I’m doing burpees or double unders the last thing I need is to wait for my boobs to catch up.
- Champion (with underwire). That’s about all I have to say. I have tried others and found them lacking & frustrating. I need something that lifts, contains, separates and doesn’t give me have a weird shape.
- Lululemon – I have heard good things about their ” Ta-ta Tamer ” — I am saving up to invest in the trying one of these in the near future.
* I did try VSX Incredible Sports Bra. But was disappointed that the support really diminished after only 6ish months. Maybe their not meant to be worn 5-6 times per week. Wearing and washing takes it’s toll on sports clothes! But when you pay what you pay for VS, I think it should last for at least a year!
4. Shirts, I have tried a few brands:
- Nike: their sport performance racer-back has been a good investment. It’s soft and stretchy but the fabric is a little different in that it sticks to other fabric ( this is a good thing ). When it lays over my pants I’m not worried about it rolling up and exposing skin that I want covered! Also long lasting! Over 2 years!
- Athleta: I have a few of their shirts and while I love this brand for their capris I have not been as satisfied with the workout shirts. I have found that they tend to roll up in the back when I squat. Annoying!
- Fila (Khols brand): Great price, comfort & durability. My workout tops mainly consist of these shirts. The price for one is usually under $15.00
- JCPenney: I have been impressed by their workout tops. I find them to very similar to the Nike ones I described above but of course at a much lower price!
^ jcpenney, fila, nike
5. Head Gear – I’m a fan of keep my LONG hair out of my face while I work out.
- Headbands – I always carry some in my gym bag. From skinny to wide. My favorite would have to be my Lululemon wide headband. They don’t slide off. The fabric is great. I also got some from Target. They work ok but are not my favorite.
- Hats – depending on the workout they can be good (say for running yes. lifting overhead – not so much)
I workout many times and many ways every week. I have to have a wardrobe that not only accommodates the lifestyle I lead but enables me to feel good about. You are more likely to workout if you like how you look while you do (in my humble opinion).
6. A bag! Find something that fits everything you want/need to carry! Extra shoes, socks, deodorant (in case you forget to put it on before you leave the house), water bottle, workout journal, snacks (in case you’re gone longer than expected, it’s always good to be prepared), protein powder, extra clothes! Trust me you need a bag!
I have used lulu & nike. Loved them both! Pockets are great! If you loose something, be sure to check all of them!
* to keep your workout gear smelling clean (so much sweat does get tricky to wash out) add a few drops of Young Living, Purification or Joy to your washing machine! Kills any leftover odor and gives an extra sanitizing boost!